Research Employers

Careers at Saint Agnes Medical Center

Saint Agnes Medical Center

Saint Agnes Medical Center Careers

About Us

Healing body, mind and spirit … our mission at Saint Agnes Medical Center for nearly nine decades.  These values were first inspired by the Sisters of the Holy Cross who, with a staff of 32, opened the original 75-bed Saint Agnes Hospital in 1929. We answered the Valley’s need for expanded health services with our move north in 1975, and have since evolved into a 436-bed, state-of-the-art Medical Center campus – bringing together the most advanced equipment and facilities, and the expertise of top-ranked physicians and staff.

To further serve our community and improve access to primary and specialty care, Saint Agnes has grown to offer several new Saint Agnes Care sites and two urgent care clinics, and has established an accredited internal medicine residency program to attract and cultivate new physicians. We’re also proud to be the only hospital in Fresno County to achieve international recognition as a Baby-Friendly designated birth facility.

Along with growing our physical presence, Saint Agnes also remains focused on strengthening its partnerships with Dignity Health and Valley Children’s Healthcare to form an integrated health care delivery network unlike any other in the region. It’s all part of the promise we made almost 89 years ago – to care for our patients and their loved ones with the highest quality, most compassionate health care. From emergency, diagnostic, surgical and maternity services to cardiac, cancer, neuro and orthopedic care, you can trust that Saint Agnes Medical Center will be here for our community for years to come.

Our History & Ministry

To fully understand Saint Agnes Medical Center’s mission, it is important to explain our beginnings. In 1841, Father Basil Moreau founded the Sisters of the Holy Cross in LeMans, France. Two years later, four sisters came to the United States to provide nursing and domestic services to the newly created College of Notre Dame (now Notre Dame University).

Over the years, the Sisters expanded their service into education and nursing - working in schools, orphanages and hospitals in several states. By the 1860s, 80 Sisters of the Holy Cross had served as nurses and administrators in six U.S. hospitals in Memphis, Tennessee; Louisville and Paducah, Kentucky; Saint Louis and Franklin, Missouri; Cairo and Mound City, Illinois; and Washington, D.C. Holy Cross Sisters also volunteered as the first Navy nurses during the Civil War, serving on the hospital ship, Red Rover. There they cared for up to 1,400 patients, including many prisoners of war.

The Sisters of the Holy Cross began work in Fresno, California, in 1894, with the opening of a boarding and day school for girls. In 1929, at the request of the local bishop, nine Holy Cross Sisters established the original Saint Agnes Hospital in downtown Fresno. The hospital actually opened one day earlier than planned to provide emergency surgery for a 3-year-old boy.

From the very beginning, the medical staff was dedicated to providing the highest quality care for our patients. After less than three years of operations, Saint Agnes became the first Fresno hospital to be accredited by the American College of Surgeons.

Over the years there have been many firsts for Saint Agnes:

  • The original Saint Agnes Hospital built in 1929 in downtown Fresno.
  • First hospital in Fresno to introduce balloon angioplasty
  • First hospital with a cardiac rehabilitation program
  • First hospital to perform minimally invasive cardiac surgery
  • First hospital to use interventional neuroradiology
  • First to bring PET scan technology to the Valley
  • First to use neuro navigation in brain surgery
  • First hospital on West Coast to use robotic surgery in a cardiac bypass operation
  • First to use IMRT radiation therapy for cancer treatment
  • Remaining faithful to our mission, Saint Agnes Medical Center will continue to seek the latest advances in medical treatment and technology to accomplish our goal of building a healthier community.